View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #257
ApS

Question The $225 Compromise...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
This post is not for or against APS comment on not hearing a boat at a distance of 6 miles. After doing a bit of refresher on the non linear function of sound I have prepared a chart that shows the sound you would expect a boat that is just at the 82dB state level.

Although the decay of sound over distance is one that requires little debate as it is well known, the effect of reflections could be debatable. It comes down to what the concept of "not be able to hear" means. A boat at the current law of 82dB at a distance of 50 feet would be expected to be about 27 dB at 6 miles. About the sound of your refrigerator or a quiet computer fan.
That's the trouble with the measurement of sound: The boat I hear at six miles is certainly not making the sound of my computer's fan! Nearly all boats in the offending category continue to make their distinctive noise even when passing behind either Rattlesnake Island and Welch Island!

When it comes to noise, anyone lakeside can readily detect the "sympathetic vibrations" occurring in a sundeck's wood platform made by the passing "legal" noisemaker.

"Noise" needs to be tightened up on this lake—not "readjusted" by the commercial interests responsible for our present dilemma.

IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
"...In the spirit of compromise I started this thread. I still think a compromise can be worked out..."
Why can't I call this the "Woodsy-Compromise"?

If you're selling an item for $200, and I make an offer of $100. "You say, 'in the spirit of compromise' let's make it $225".

What "tweaking" of 45/25 results in the compromises that we've been seeing on these pages? "A Compromise" would be 75/15!

(Try getting that one passed)

BTW: One sensible compromise would be to permit "Unlimited speeds" everywhere on the Lake between Labor Day and Memorial Day.

(Many could "live" with that one!)

Quote:
"...The problem I have with this is the same problem I had with the first go around…. SHOW ME THE DATA! No hard facts at all yet exist about the pros and cons of HB-847! But here we are debating if HB-847 the same way people debate if ghosts exist or not! No data or hard facts that ghosts exist, yet the debate rages...!"
I have no difficulty refuting ghosts, but too often I perceive that some "drivers" don't pay attention to what lies directly in front of them. (Namely, my boat!)

While trying not to sound like Clint Eastwood, I ask myself, " Do I feel lucky today?"

Unfortunately, the answer would be "yes": It is only through luck that I can boat safely. I perceive that my luck has increased, mostly because fewer opportunities for mischief exist this season.

This year, while I perceive boating traffic is 'way down from last year, I've managed to make myself safer through pro-active warnings. I'm also perceiving that the vast majority of boats are observing the new speed regulation during the daylight hours. (At least when I'm out there observing—I currently have a houseful of guests).

One missed opportunity to collect DATA occurred late Tuesday evening, when I announced to the gathering of my clan outdoors at our BBQ dinner:

Quote:
"Something noisy and bad is approaching".

The reverberations of the sundeck that alerted me were caused by an all-white ~48' GFBL (at about 60-MPH), which appeared to be a brand-new design.

It drove noisily past the four families who rent this neighborhood's newest lakefront cottages, and pulled a stunt directly in front of my own gathering.

I don't think I've ever seen such a stunt pulled by something so large, so fast, and so noisy. It silenced all lakefront discussions in my neighborhood while engaged in starting a "donut" directly in front us! When I thought he was going to do a 180º and turn back, he completed a 270º at high speed, slowed and "parked" at our newest McMansion—A stunt worthy of a Jet-Ski!

No supporters of a compromise were made that evening!

Maybe "Opponents" can figure out who your own worst enemies truly are.

Quote:
"...Notice I said BE SAFE and not FEEL SAFE. There is a huge difference between the two. I think canoeists and kayakers WERE SAFE before the advent of HB-847. The accident statistics for NH prove this...We have no data that suggests even remotely that canoeists and kayakers are any safer now..."
1) "Stats" are collected for collisions over $2000: How many kayaks are exempted from "stats" by a $2000 threshhold? (An "exact" number, please).

Hmmm. Could it be every last one of them is going uncounted?

2) Today, many are hugging the shoreline untill they perceive the necessity to cross to other shorelines.

3) Just minutes before RG Gal and RG Guy arrived here on the 20th, I watched a kayaker skirt a large group of young kids swimming about 150' from shore. She (the kayaker) gave them another 100' without a thought of any danger to herself—and why should she?

4) Seen the latest fashion statement in kayaking?

A kayaking neighbor (from Camp Ossipee) showed up this month with a flourescent orange hat with flourescent orange paddles. What is it, do you suppose, he "feels"?

IF, as you say, "you can see for miles", why would a kayaker try to look like an endangered roadside worker?

Quote:
"...I would be more concerned about the children in canoes kayaks & sailfish getting swamped or capsized by a huge wake..."
Canoes and kayaks are growing in numbers, but the Sailfish have disappeared. Although Sailfish can still be fabricated by the DIY-er, I haven't seen one on this lake in decades.

Alton's "Camp Kabeyun" has the Sailfish's successor, the Sunfish—a much safer and even more visible boat. But even that camp's boats and kids are still endangered by "drivers" who operate irresponsibly using tons of iron, steel, and fiberglass.

For another matter, why attempt to demonize cruisers (or those super-wakemakers, MP-11 and MP-7 boats) to benefit the GFBL "image"? Does a 27' BAJA towing a raft or wake-boarder on this lake make no wake?

Quote:
"...To sum it all up…I think the NHMP do a great job with the funding they are given...Nothing calms the waters like a NHMP boat just sitting there waiting to pounce!
They're not in front of my place in the numbers of last year—and they're certainly not pouncing!

So just where are they gathering data? It's not here!