View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #236
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
1) Last I checked, this thread remains open to both sides for comments.

2) My vote (and the votes of ALL of my family, my tenants, and many other lakeside—but unrecognized—tenants) is the same: #5.

(But see below).

The previous suggestion for a reduction in exhaust noise was left off.

A promised reduction of "Exhaust Noise" could go a long way towards getting any compromise through legislation. (If, as opponents have contended, that noise was a factor in WinnFABS' "agenda").

I'll "liberalize" that compromise even more by adding that a boat that is inaudible at six miles distance will be granted unlimited speeds on Winnipesaukee. How about THAT?

Those that fail (and had exceeded 65-MPH) will pay a fee to the NHMP at the rate of $100 per decibel over the present 86dB limit.

A different thread's suggestion of a "Lake Winnipesaukee-only-license" sounds like another valuable piece to add to the compromises previously stated.

IMHO.
APS, appreciate the comments (on both sides) however you can only beat a dead horse so many times... If anyone wants to post new fresh ideas then by all means go for it. Trying to derail the thread by trolling is what I meant by (no comment needed)

I also see you point of decibel levels. You have always been a proponent of sound restrictions. While I do not agree with them, I do recognize your position and applaud you for sticking to it over the years.

I can not speak for other GFBL boaters on the forum, however there are engines that can not go thru hub or under water exhaust. The back pressure would be too much. I have put Gibson Mufflers on my boat that brings the decible level down to "legal" standards on the lake. It used to be MUCH MUCH louder (music to my ears but I can understand not to everyone else on the lake)

What upsets me is I would be more then willing to also install captains call on my boat. Similar to silent choice. It allows for the engine to be further muffled under 2000 RPMS. This works very well when you are near shore, idleing through canals, or starting your boat at the dock. I would be more then happy to use it and still keep my mufflers on. However, our state legislatures, most of whom have never been on a boat, in their infinate wisdom banned switchable exhaust. While I see the other side (you always have that one guy who doesn't run mufflers with switchable) overall the lake would be a much quieter place. I see plenty of boats now that have no mufflers might as well allow switchable exhaust for those of us who will actually use it.

As for a Winni only license... I really don't think it would help the economy or is a realisitic idea. It is fine for those of us who predominently boat there but it could drive new comers away.. IMHO