View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #203
Dave R

Hate to say this but... The 45 MPH daytime part of the speed limit is not as bad as I thought it would be.

I am against the speed limit in principle, because I feel speed is not an issue on the lake. What I have seen this year has made me realize that the speed limit is making MY boating more fun. I have found that the bays are a lot more civilized, due to less overtaking. This is especially true in Alton Bay, an area I frequent. I still overtake boats on Alton Bay, but I'm far less likely to be overtaken now. As the overtaker, I'm the give-way boat and I am more confident in my ability to be the give-way captain than I am relying on someone else to be. This is something I had not considered, and has actually encouraged me to operate my boat faster in bays than I ever used to. It's nice not seeng boats bearing down on me from behind as I prepare to alter course to overtake another boat. I imagine the boat I am overtaking has a very different perspective though...

I think no speed limit in the broads is a good idea, but I can live with 45, and here's why: All the intelligent boaters know that speed limit really does not matter in the broads. One can operate as fast as one wants to out there with no chance of ever being ticketed by following one simple rule of physics. This simple rule also happens to be a very safe rule to follow and will completely prevent collisions and fear. Frankly, I like the idea that only smart poeple can get away with speeding. If someone gets convicted (fairly) of speeding in the daytime, on this lake, they have to be pretty dumb and operating unsafely.

I think the 25 MPH night time limit is at least 5 MPH too slow. 30 is perfectly safe on nights with plenty off moonlight, or an hour or two after sunset.

I am still against the boating speed limit, but I would support a compromise that limited speeds in the bays and increased speed limits to at least 30 at night, lake-wide.