View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
webmaster

Thanked 3,730 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsey View Post
The McDonalds on the Alton circle has wireless internet, at least based on signage. Never tried to use it.
They do have WiFi but it's not free. I can't remember what service they use but it will cost you something like $6.95/day. In some cases it's worth it as long as you don't eat too many Big Macs while you're surfing.

The Fon service is something that businesses and individuals should look at. For $30 ($10 more for an extended range antenna) they sell you a little secure wireless router that both gives the owner free wireless and also has a separated public service. Visitors are completely separated from your network. When other people connect to your router they automatically go to a pay page where they can pay for one day access. Fon gives you half and deposits it in your account. If you provide FON service yourself you get free access on the 1 million FON access points world wide.

I've put Fon routers in 2 locations (not at the lake) and they work great. They've more than paid for themselves and I've used free Fon access points in several other places around the country.

Also, many hotels now have free WiFi that you can use in their lobbies or outside. All the Meredith Inns have it. You can sit just outside or in those hotels and connect for free.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links