View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #119
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Ask yourself, where does it really go?

Well, I read through this thread and chuckled to myself many times and kept hearing myself say "if you only knew". As most of you know I live down here in Exeter and we have curbside "pay per bag" and free recycling pick up. We are encouraged to make the most of the free recycling, but it's limited to household use only. Being an HVAC contractor I have make my own refuge disposal by whatever mean are appropriate.

I choose to have a 5 ton enclosed dump trailer that I take it up to Mt. Trashmore or otherwise known as Waste Management Turn Key in Rochester (cost is $90/ton). One day when I waiting on top of the mountain for my turn to dump, a Waste Management recycle truck (the same one that picked up my recyclables earlier that day) pulls right up next to me and dumps the whole load right there. The packer (the biggest iron wheel dozer I've ever seen) drives over the load spreading it out and packing it down into the pile. I asked the yardman, "what's with that", his reply was, "the price is down today and they are just parking it here". Of course my response was, "when do they come back and get it?" His was reply was... "Really? think about it!"

Maybe before you get to excited about your recyclables you ought to see just where they actually go. I do my "feel good" part and try to fill my recycle bin, but I'm not about to wash the trash that ends up in the same place.

Oh, about my business refuse: I now bring it all to Environmental Resource Return Corp's (ERRCO) Recycling Facility, located in Epping, NH, New Hampshire's first state-of-the art construction and demolition recycling facility. The cost is the same for me but I can see just what's happening to it (they're making money off it), a win-win situation.

Last edited by Winnipesaukee Divers; 02-27-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote