View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
sea_n_ski

Default Children are not welcome at the Meredith Public Library?

The Meredith Pubic library will not give my daughter a library card, even though we own property in Meredith and pay taxes. .

We have owned a second home in Meredith since 1998. When our children were young, we got them all Library Cards to the Meredith Public Library. My youngest daughter loves the library. She just graduated HS and even got a college scholarship from our town library in So. NH where we live. She is spending the summer with her other sisters waitressing and saving up to fulfill her live long dream of becoming a doctor. My daughter has a sever case of crones and so far drs have been unable to find a cure.

So my daughter goes into the library and asks for a card to take out books. They ask her if she is a full time resident. She say no, but we own a home on Meredith neck. Just up for the summer. They ask her if she is the one that actually pays the taxes. Like an 18 year old girl pays the $12K we pay in taxes. She says no, my father pays the taxes.

They tell her she doesn't qualify to get a Library Card. The said I could get one because I actually pay the taxes, but not her. How ridiculous is that? As part time lake owners we pay a ton in taxes and don't use most of the town services. They don't even plow our road or pick up our trash. Talk about discrimination. If it wasn't for all of us part time residents, could you image what their taxes would be like? If they are not going to let us use town services, we should get a lower tax rate.

I told her to go back into the library and ask for the head librarian and demand a card.