View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Rail road car off the Weirs

While waiting for a buddy I ran a scan along the western shore north towards Meredith and saw something tall in the water column. I did a quick dive and landed on the deck of what looked like a barge maybe 45 feet long.

The jagged white lines with the blue background in the image (blue is the water column) turned out to be the sides of a railroad car. They appear on both sides of the left/right scan image attached, meaning I was right over the object when I scanned it, hence splitting it. None of the wreck itself is apparent in this shot but the sides in the water column were enough for me to want to see what was down there. Once I dove it I realized I was on a box car. Most of the sides (maybe 12 feet high) were gone but enough remain to stand out in the water column on side-scan. I dove around the wreck and found a large rusted, encrusted car-coupler on the southern end of it.

I am familiar with the story of that bad collision way back. And I believe there are a few more RR cars down there.

The images I got (there are more) all-in-all are miserable. Don't know why-it's just that way with this one.

For the fishermen and divers Lat/Lon is: 43 36.997N / 071 27.891W.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post: