View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 10:48 PM   #17
Winilyme

Lot's of fun trying to compare views and orient myself. Challenging especially when you consider that there are no good date-references that I could find. Couple of observations:

Sandyisl' postcard view in post 1. The boathouse. I'm thinking that's the same structure you can see in the lower center of Top-Water's photograph in post 2.

Compare Top-Waters photograph (I'm assuming it's a photo) in post 4 to his photograph in post 6. The former I assume is a much more recent view than the latter. Yet check out the view. It's almost identical and I think you are looking at the same field and almost exactly the same spot. Just that the guy painting is a bit more to the right of the house view. You can tell by lining up the trees to Rattlesnake in the background. Also, the profile of the trees/hill at the bottom of the field match almost exactly. Wonder how many years separate these views. Wonder if Top-Water just came upon these specific views or if he/she has some personal attachment to that property.

Checking out Google Maps, I'm thinking that the property in posts 4 and 6 might be the one seen here - sitting a stones throw from Roberts Cove Road. By zooming onto the house in Maps, I'm guessing it could be a more modern rebuild of what was there in the past. Is anyone on the forum familiar enough with this area to say?

Other clues. There's stone walls on each side of the road as you can see in post 4 and on Google Maps along Roberts Cove Road. Also, and maybe my imagination is getting away from me here, it 'feels' like the road in post 4 is starting to veer ever so slightly to the right as Roberts Cove Road does to swing down around the northeastern side of the cove - just as you can see it does a few hundred feet below the noted house on the map. When you zoom into the map alongside the road next to the house, there are what look to be some sizeable trees. Could one of them be the maple tree we see in post 4? I also tried to zoom in to see if the painter was still there - but he isn't :-)

Forum members...am I right with this or have I gone awry?

One thing seems certain - I have too much time on my hands. Thanks Sandyisl for giving me something to do tonight. Looking forward to more challenges.
Attached Images

Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote