View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #18
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
In New Hampshire you can't register your car by going directly to the DMV. You have to start at the City or Town and pay the town fees and taxes. The City permit fee for registration is based on the vehicle model year, the original factory list price of the vehicle, and the expiration date. In addition to the other costs the Town Clerk also charges a $2 fee. This fee covers the general administrative costs of preparing an auto registration permit. The fee is charged for every vehicle registration.

The City's municipal fees for MOS/MILLS on your vehicle registration are the only portions that are tax deductible on Internal Revenue Service Schedules A and B on Form 1040. These line items are a deduction for personal property taxes. The State of NH portion of your registration is not deductible
Correct no debate on this. But if I remember correctly years ago you could avoid the 2 dollar fee by going to the DMV after you went to the town first. Hardly worth it now-a-days. Years ago I can remember picking up the plates on one occasion because the town did not have any on that particular day.

However If I'm not mistaken (for boats) when you mail it into concord the state keeps both the personal property taxes and the registration fee. Town / Municipality gets nothing.

If you do it at your town hall, the town gets to "keep" the personal property tax portion and then sends in "just" the registration fees to the state. Charging two dollars for administration to mail in the DMV state portion / fee's.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote