View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #32
Pine Island Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
In 2011 the NH state liquor stores generated $417,000,000 in sales. These sales put $160 million into the state's general fund. In 2013 this amount has already increased to over $600,000.000 in sales! This will put over a quarter of a billion dollars into the states general fund! That's a lot of snowplowing!! Not to mention over 60% of these sales come from out of state.

The state will now add to this profit by trying to collect a 9% meals tax to everyone who visits the Common Man as well as the tax at the gas pumps.

These are not just liquor store rest areas, they are profit centers for the state. I would be willing to bet that the two liquor stores on 93 NB and SB are by far the two most profitable liquor stores in the state drawing millions of people each year.

To those of us NH natives trying to keep a sales tax away from our state, we should be welcoming this.
Dan
Completely agree... unless people decide to cut back on their alcohol consumption (unlikely given the trend that Dan cited), NH makes a very tidy sum on liquor sales... I'm not sure how much they just spent on building the new store at exit 6 in Nashua, but the State paid for everything including the "shell" and it appears well worth it given the traffic through there... The buildings on I-93 are dated and I'm guessing that the convenience of having a gas station and restaurant will draw in even more people that will also decide that maybe they need a few bottles for the weekend!!

Also totally agree that there are probably lots of hidden costs, however with the liquor sales, food/beverage tax, fuel tax, etc... it will still be quite a profitable enterprise for the State and the service providers, add jobs at that location, and be a really nice gateway for the tourism industry...

I don't agree that "people that stop there would have eaten at another restaurant anyway"... if that was what happened everytime a new restaurant opened... another would close... and there are many successful restaurants opening in NH every year!

Unclear why people (natives or not) aren't celebrating this as a win... politics? I'd be shocked!

PIG - enjoy the lake this time of year, it's beautiful!!
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote