View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
salty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I started walking and Sailing (Iceboats) the lake in 1969. In those days, we MADE our own ICE SPIKES ...spikes are absolutely required. (Now you can buy them. See post #9.)

"Creeper's" are also required equipment. They are rubber things with spikes on them that you strap on your shoes/boots that allow you to walk on the ice without "Slipping".

If you need to pull someone out of the water and you are on ice........you will have NO TRACTION on the ice without "Creepers". Whatever ice activity you are engaged in..Have "Ice Spikes" AND "Creepers" on your person.

The Ice Spikes have a String connected between the two...which you will wear around your neck...outside your gear.. so they are readily available.

AN ADD ON: NEVER NEVER go out on the ice ALONE...STUPID...Just Sayin..

I HAVE been Swimming... in the ice.. so I know how it is. NB
As a kid, I fell through on a local pond while skating. Thank God it was only up to my waist but it is SCARY and the cold almost paralyzes you. It's incredibly hard to climb out; to get the traction. All it takes is a thin patch or a hole and you can be gone. I wear Stablicers now when I walk Sadie in slippery conditions. If I were walking out on the lake I'd certainly use those plus I'd get set of the Ice spikes.