View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #90
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Couple of rambling thoughts...

Most of the speed limits around here have been the same for 50 years. In that time cars have had all types of safety improvements. ABS, traction control, impact protection crumple zones, air bags etc. Some of these 30 mph areas are simply ridiculous and need to change. These limits were put in place in the age of the DeSoto and Edsel, or before that even. Heck, I think it must have been General Wolfe that installed the 30mph signs around here.
Look at South Main Street in Wolfeboro. It goes from 35 by the Police station, to 40 by the Windrifter, to 30 by the High School in less than a half mile. Who did that and what the heck were they thinking?
As far as tailgaters go. I used to have a great bumper sticker. It read. The closer you get, the slower I go. I need to find that one again.
Correct. Moultonborough is the worst place for speed traps on the planet. Alton has nothing on Moultonborough.
I tell people to watch for deer around here all the time. Especially on Motorcycles. I can't believe we don't have more motorcycle contacts with deer than we do. I see multiple deer on RT 109 almost daily as I go in at dawn and head home at dusk most days. You need to be very careful. That said.....My wife hit a Pug on RT 104 not long ago. I can't believe the damage to the car that a little pug did.... $2800.00.
If you want to make the roads safer there should be mandatory driving classes like they have in Germany. Here you can get your permit and drive that day without any experience. Having another person over the age of 21 in the car with you does absolutely NOTHING. What are they going to do yell at you as you hit another vehicle? Stupid.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote