View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #290
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
You are all for camaraderie, getting all sides together, and enjoying the lake with lemonade. Yet you still insist on using and insulting misnomer when referring to WinnFABS.

I disagree with much of your post, but one paragraph is so nuts I just have to call you on it.

Do you really think most camps on the lake are closed on weekends? The truth is they just look closed because they will not send out their sailboats, kayaks and canoes onto a weekend cowboy filled lake.

It is unfortunate that when people take their "nice Cobalt can easily cruise along at 55 MPH going from Center Harbor to Wolfboro" they have no idea how many thousands of children are being kept off the lake so you can have a nice ride.

THAT is the truth of the situation. Thousands inconvenienced so that dozens can go fast. But you are going by so fast, you can't see, or even imagine what you are doing.
I've stayed out of this battle for a while, it is time to put my 2 cents in.

Is 55mph in the Broads vs 45mph really that different? That does not allow for speeders to be blasting by Lawrence or Nokomis endangering children. Some of the articles I have read make the proposed change sound like the 10mph increase spells the end of people's safety on the lake which simply isn't true. Chances are you probably won't even notice a difference. I can't imagine every fast boat in the northeast is going to converge on the 9.5 mile long "speed zone" to get a few extra mph in. If the limit was 20-30mph faster maybe...

I don't have a dog in this fight. My jet ski is quite fast but my fastest boat will only do 55mph and I doubt that MP is going to give me a second glance if I am doing 50-55mph in a pontoon vs 45mph. I could truly care less one way or the other if it passes or not as I am not affected. Does that mean I will intentionally push the limit? No.

Hats off to Winnfabs for their aggressive fight on this, but the truth behind this is that they are exaggerating the truth and have been for some time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post: