View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #30
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
I have purchased some Marvel Mystery Oil and plan on adding it before I take the boat out tomorrow. I have also talked to the marina about replacing the noisy lifter(s) if the MMO has no effect.

At this point I am not ready to replace the boat. Yes, it is over 20 years old, but if you saw it you would suggest it is relatively new. It has spent it's summers in a boathouse and winters under a carport.

Anyway, Thanks all for all the advice.

Bill
Bill, sounds like your going down the right track....

While I don't disagree with Many of the points made here.... starting with MMO, is always a good step with noise lifters... there are other products with similar intentions one can use as well....As I believe in driving vehicles into the ground I have dealt with lazy lifters in this mater many times.

As I do believe you recognize the age of the boat.... I would suggest before making any major steps having the boat surveyed... if you have moisture in the transom or the stringers a good survey will pick up on it. It maybe fine if it has been well cared for.... Then it will be easier to determine, how much money you want to spend on improvements.

While Woodsy is correct that your engine is tired... you do have to look at your use of the boat... if you many cruise around, getting another few hundred hours shouldn't be a problem..... However if you are skiing, tubing, or trying to run around from port to port as fast as possible... well that is a different story, and I would be thinking about replacing the engine....