View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #17
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
ITD.... I respectfully disagree.

Boat engines unlike car engines do no not have multi-speed transmissions. This means they are under constant loading. They don't ever coast even when idling. 1700 hours on a boat motor is a lot of hours. Quite frankly I am surprised it made it this far without major repair. Kudos to Water Camper!

The reality is, the boat is worth between $5k & $6K tops (NADA). Sinking a bunch of $$$ into engine work (rebuild or replace engine, coupler, etc) or other work (gas tank, transom, stringers, floor) still leaves you with a $5K - $6K boat.

If you like the boat and are going to keep it forever... spend the $$. You will never recover the investment. If not get rid of it now and move on to another boat.

Woodsy
We almost agree here Woodsy, engine longevity argument aside, were it my engine I would probably just run it if it were running ok beside the noise. At the end of the season, I would pull out my tools and open it up after determining the noise was inside the engine and not an accessory, a bearing, an injector or any other number of things it could be. I would check out the cam for obvious extensive wear then replace the lifters. All in all it's something that would take me 15 to 30 hours in my estimation, maybe less, maybe more ( I spend most of my time looking for my tools). If I found a big problem, I'd button it up and probably get a new(er) boat, or, if attached to it, rebuild or replace the motor.

If $300 worth of lifters solve the problem for another 10 years I'm way ahead of the game.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote