View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Boardwalk Bluesboy

Smile White Owl - The Camp Beautiful

I was going to start a thread about the White Owl Cabins, but I see someone has already beat me to it! I've been collecting White Owl images for a while. This is one of the most interesting of the former cabin colonies in the area for two reasons. One, its location is so familiar to everyone today as the site of Shaw's supermarket and the Margate resort. Second, the high quality and quantity of cards that were produced. Up first is this aerial photo:

Name:  whiteowlaerial2.jpg
Views: 6850
Size:  142.8 KB

The Margate now occupies what was previously the White Owl's Lakeside Cabins and Beach, noted as items "B" and "I" in the aerial. The main property was situated where Shaw's is today.

In the late 1930's and 1940's many black and white postcards of the White Owl were produced. Here is the Clubhouse:

Name:  clubhouse.jpg
Views: 6958
Size:  136.2 KB

The Main Court:

Name:  maincourt.jpg
Views: 6322
Size:  78.4 KB

The miniature Sawmill in Garden:

Name:  sawmillingarden.jpg
Views: 6419
Size:  94.1 KB

The Cottage Court:

Name:  cottagecourt.jpg
Views: 6106
Size:  25.7 KB

The Old Well:

Name:  oldwell.jpg
Views: 6028
Size:  24.9 KB

In the late 1940's or early 1950's, many beautiful color linen postcards were produced. This one shows a couple relaxing on their front porch:

Name:  whiteowlcolorcabin2.jpg
Views: 6555
Size:  170.4 KB

Solid Comfort:

Name:  solidcomfort.jpg
Views: 6135
Size:  41.3 KB

Interior views:

Name:  interiorviews.jpg
Views: 6204
Size:  38.5 KB

The sawmill in the Garden, this time in color:

Name:  sawmillcolor.jpg
Views: 6045
Size:  38.4 KB

Garden Cabins:

Name:  gardencabins.jpg
Views: 6587
Size:  39.2 KB

There indeed was also a restaurant at the White Owl, as evidenced by this placemat and postcard:

Name:  whiteowlplacemat.jpg
Views: 6231
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  whiteowldiningroom2.jpg
Views: 5914
Size:  39.2 KB

Here are a couple of historical articles about the White Owl. The first dates the White Owl from 1929, as a 1933 article (75 years before the article date of 2008) states that the White Owl cabin colony was in its fourth year of operations.

The article also refers to McIntyre's pasture. Later this intersection became known as McIntyre Circle, as it is still known today, even though today there is no traffic circle, just a traffic light at this intersection.

Name:  whiteowlarticle1.jpg
Views: 6061
Size:  126.2 KB

This second article from 1937 shows that owners had a kind of a problem that was quickly solved by the police!

Name:  whiteowlarticle2.jpg
Views: 5672
Size:  34.2 KB

Does anyone else have some old postcards of the White Owl that they would like to share?

Last edited by Boardwalk Bluesboy; 02-22-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Add another Postcard Photo
Boardwalk Bluesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boardwalk Bluesboy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links