View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #30
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Love this post from Gary and totally agree.
After more than 40 years in the business,I have scores of success stories
Kids that started as dishwashers at age 14 or 15 that learned the nuts and bolts of the business and went on to very good jobs in management or as owners their own restaurant. Restaurant work is good for young people because it teaches them how to navigate the workplace dealing with others.Usually,their first such experience
Also teaches them the value of teamwork. Back of the house as well as the front must work together with precision or things fall apart quickly.
Restaurant work is a good start for any young person.
Let's not forget that it also teaches empathy and patience—most everybody should work in a retail setting for these reasons.

That being said, given the myriad jobs available to teens that may be more fulfilling or pay better, I can see that restaurant help might suffer.

For example, a fair amount of my students work for camps/after-school programs, etc. that pay well, provide great resume material, and a pipeline to scholarships...and are probably seen as more rewarding. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I know any seniors working in restaurants.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote