View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 06:05 AM   #41
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Seven Marine also has a larger engine the 627SV.. Outboard power is taking over the market. Outboards surpass I/O power by a wide margin. Most large Center Console boats 40' and above here in Florida carry 4 of the Seven 627's total 2,500 HP. Top speed 89 MPH. Even Hinckley has some of their new CC boats powered by outboards. Who would ever thought.

Congratulations on your Bennington especially the 300 Mercury Verado. You will really love it.
Outboards surpass I/O power? No they don't. The only difference between a stern drive and an outboard is where the motor is mounted. Other than the Evinrude's which are still two strokes. Why outboards have become so popular is because they are cheaper - the stupid government mandate to put a catalyst system (for emissions control) on stern drives made them more expensive than an outboard which ironically was just the opposite prior to this change. I suspect however this will apply to outboards soon enough and that will drive the prices of those up significantly as well. Just a matter of time. The funny thing is with modern day computer controlled fuel injection systems, especially the GDI systems the need for a catalyst is almost completely eliminated. Back in the day when carburetors were the norm, it made a little more sense to clean up what was coming out the tail pipe.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote