View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #33
Descant

Thanked 1,515 Times in 984 Posts
Default Semantics

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post

While a carrier might do you a solid or to save face cover the claim, it is not covered in the policy directly, why else would they sell you the liability separately and allow you to list it on the policy by itself. I would bet my lively hood that if the claim was major and being sued for big bucks the carrier would decline the claim because it is not specifically covered in the auto policy, again unless you list it
Twenty-five years insurance sales, personal, not commercial, now retired. I don't recall adding liability for a trailer, just comp and collision, because the liability was automatic when the attachment occurred. Think of other examples. Your hubcap goes flying when you drive through a pothole, and hits the windshield of another car. You're liable, covered under your policy. The hubcap was not attached, and you never asked for additional coverage. Same if ice flies off your roof. It's illegal in NH to drive with snow and ice on the roof, but if it happens, you're covered for damage to the other party. The claim will not be denied even though you were in violation of the law. That is considered "contrary to the public good." Policy language seldom varies much because that's what the insurance department approves, and that's what the courts have interpreted.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote