View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #24
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
I think you are asking more about saving the sales tax that you would pay in MASS than can you register the PWC/boat in NH. I think if you are a NH resident and drivers license then maybe you can get around paying the tax in MASS but if you are a MASS resident then you may need to pay the tax in MA on the purchase. If you purchase the boat in NH you should not pay sales tax and you can easily register it in NH. Either way you can definitely register it in NH. I am really not sure so I am sure someone else can confirm.
If the boat is purchased in NH, registered in NH, and used/stays in NH, then no tax is due. I went through this many years ago when we still lived in MA and were purchasing our boat. Since it was going to stay on Merrymeeting (and has), no issues and no tax.

Interestingly, we still needed to register the trailer in MA. If you pull the boat, and something happens, it turns out that the insurance coverage comes from the pulling vehicle. Since our vehicles were registered in MA, the trailer needed to be registered there too. (in hindsight, we shouldn't have bothered. The only trailering ever done is twice a year to put it in and out at the marina, and they use their tractors to pull it)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote