View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #194
Cobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Cobolt, you are on to a good idea, that being the upgrade of septic systems. However, there is so little tax revenue going to Concord (and it should stay that way) that it would take decades to work off any credit. Most property tax goes to the town and county, and they are in no financial position to be buying people's septic systems. There are many systems which can't be replaced without wavers, so a more clear process for getting wavers would be useful.

Your last statement needs some explaination. We do need the state to protect us from "the other guys" who are damaging the lake. There are still too many shoreline projects going on and too many supergreen lawns down to the water's edge. What do you mean by "require explanation why they need to protect us from ourselves"?
Lakegeezer,

The emphasis placed on green lawns should not be a priority. It is a small part of a larger problem. I would concentrate on helping shorefront owners upgrade old septic systems which are deteriorated and do not conform to current regulations. When I see a new home constructed on the site of an old camp, at least I know that human fertilizer will not damage the lake.

How much tax revenue has been and will be spent by Concord in drafting these regulations and continually explaining them? Also, if we are truly concerned about the lakes, use some the tax revenues generated by waterfront owners for these credits. If the problem is as dire for the lake as portrayed by some, we cannot afford to ignore it and wish it away by restricting green lawns, but take decisive action on the septic issue.

You may not realize it yet, but the CSPA is having an impact on the area development. Talk to any of the local tradesmen or lumber yard, and you will hear how construction has slowed. If the intent of the Act was to slow waterfront constructon, it has succeeded. The unintended consequences of this slowdown impacts those in the construction and service trades dependent upon these projects.

A friend who lives on the shorefront asked me if he could install a flagpole within 100 feet of the lake under the current regulations without getting a permit. My short answer should be yes, but under the CSPA and the theory of protecting us from the other guy, and from ourselves....
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote