View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #146
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I think non-resident property owners do have a right to speak (not vote) at town meetings, or any other sort of town meeting (ZBA for example) if public comments are opened. It comes under Due Process, not 1st Amendment.

So, for example if a town ZBA was discussing a rule that affects waterfront property owners... all waterfront owners (resident or non resident) would be able to be heard (if public comments were open)

https://www.nh.gov/osi/resource-libr...c-meetings.pdf

Woodsy
You are correct that non-residents property owners do have a right to speak, I have done so on both a State and local level..... However because they don't vote, the politicians are less likely to listen...... I have had mixed bag of results over the years....Mostly because the opportunities as a non-resident to voice your opinion are limited.... When I have been successful it has been because there have been politicians and town officials that have been willing to talk, when it was convenient for me, you don't find that often....