View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #23
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiezy View Post

The DJI app may alert you that it is within 5 miles of the airport, but it shouldn't prohibit you from flying. I'm not an expert, however, so refer to the FAA website or contact the UAS helpline directly at UAShelp@faa.gov

From https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
You are correct, my DJI app gives me a variety of warnings, including when flying in restricted airspace. There are certain areas within the country where the app does prevent you from flying. However, if you receive an FAA waiver there is a procedure to allow DJI to temporarily lift a flight restriction for a particular area. And while it is advisable that you notify a nearby airfield if flying within 5 miles, a number of the areas that I fly in are private airports with no manned tower to notify, Pease being the exception.

With the complexity of regulations, and the liability you assume, I recommend anyone that takes the hobby as serious as I seek their part 107 certification. It has been an eye opening experience for me so far, and helped me sort out fact from rumor...hopefully making me a better pilot!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote