View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I have never added up my cost for gas in a given year. I would likely get depressed doing so... Thinking about what else I could be doing with out that expense.

There was only a single time I did so... I wanted to see if the road tax rebate was worth my time. When I found out it really wasn't I just stopped caring.

Rather I look back on the season and reflect on the number of hours on the boat... Be it at anchor, or running, and how much fun it was..... now of course the pontoon I bought last year (used) doesn't have an hour meter so I have to guess some...

Normal cruse length for me 2-3 hours
Number of cruise each weekend 2-4
Number of times this year I anchored out:0
Number of weekend per month averge 2 from May-Sept: 10
Plus a weeks vacation in May; equalling 3 weekends...

so lets see 2*2*13 = 52 - 3*4*13 = 156 average those together 104 hours approximate on the boat this year.... say the boat costs me around 10$ per hour to operate.... $1040 worth of fun for my wife and I... I see no problem justifying that.... even at double that 2048$.... for a summers worth of enjoyment... is better then paying for a week in a hotel at some resort... at least in my eyes....

Anyway sorry for the ramble here, I am not even sure where I was going with this....
If it were a pain, I wouldn't bother either, but since I just give them my name at Ambrose Cove (VIP, amiright?) and they mail me a receipt, it's easier than if I paid with a card and walked away.

At $1050, I'll get ~$60 gas tax refund, which is about two free fill-ups, two trips to Pop's or Dockside, TEN Fluffernutter sundaes at Bailey's Bubble...well, you get the point.

In terms of hours, I gotta think I'm at least tripling the engine hours on Jettie One as each time out we dock up or anchor out at sandbars, etc. So with 65 clocked hours, we've (Bug Bug, L'il Buddy, and I—no wife on the ski...yet) had to have spent 200+ hours out there touring.

An amazing summer, for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote