View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #23
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
For real? Outside the railing/fencing I get, but hanging an arm over in open water? I see that all the time. I also do the same in my car every time I have the windows open. That's a little crazy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I understand riding on the bow/transom, gunwales as being dangerous from a fall overboard concern. That was certainly the concern when the law was passed. The interpretation given above (no arms)_ means I can't reach for a post or hand a line to someone on the dock when docking. Presumably, this means I can't lean over to pick up a ski, hat, other dropped object?
I talked to Dave Barrett many years ago about similar enforcement issues. The summary was that mostly new officers took a while to gain some experience, especially if they were not previously boaters. Routine training and debriefings on these issues and an occasionally voided ticket evened things out as the season progressed. I think it is natural for anybody new on any job to want to show enthusiasm for the duties involved. A call across the water without an actual stop may have been a little over interpretation of the law, but no harm done.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: