View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #16
XCR-700

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
What is described here as an ankle may have appeared in a completely different view to MP. I have a lot of respect for MP and their training/ judgement.
I am 100% certain it did not look like anything other than an ankle on the rail, it is a natural fit and seems to be the desire of far too many of my guests,,,

Re: "I have a lot of respect for MP and their training/ judgement.

I do too, thats why I assumed they were right and that was the law and I didnt attempt to fight it, and I still assume it is the the law and I still yell at my passengers for resting their ankle on the bow rail, or hanging their arm over the rail (another VERY common desire of passengers) .

I have personally NEVER had an inclination to hang my ankle on the bow rail while moving or at anchor/docked, but apparently it is a natural instinct for many,,, My wife is one of the many people who will put her feet up on the dashboard of the car, which to me is still horrifying to see after being married to her for almost 25years. I have warned her countless time of the frightening implications in a accident and/or if the airbag should go off, but it is apparently an urge that she cannot beat,,,

My point was/is, I dont see that and ankle over the bow rail (and it was actually written on the citation as "ankle over the bow rail") or a wrist should not be a fineable offense or even a concern. Sitting on the gunnel or the edge of the boat legs completely off the surface of the boat, or on the front deck of a closed bow boat is a completely different matter than a ankle or arm over a bow rail.

Like far too many controls in our society, there is no balance and the moral majority always seem to move the pendulum too far in the name of safety. The list of utter nonsensical restrictions in America to protect the completely stupid or to impose someones personal beliefs or preferences has gone past the point of reasonable. Rifles are bad because that are black, have a bayonette lug or pistol grip or a screw on muzzle break/flash suppressor and "you dont NEED that for hunting or self-defense" Rust holes on the outer body of the car will prevent you from getting an inspection sticker because it might let in carbon monoxide or someone might rub up against it and get a cut. Cities like Boston have restrictions on pocket knife blade length (theres is 2.5") I'm sure this does a lot to deter crime and stabbings in Boston,,, And so on,,,

Not really looking to elevate this to a major status item, just saying I think in the name of safety and working to protect the lowest common denominator, we expend too much energy on insignificant things and lose site of the big picture in too many instances.

Your opinions may vary and will. But like the current mask restrictions, I have serious doubts about the level of protection these extreme restrictions offer, but I am a dutiful citizen and I wear my mask where required and I do my best to keep my passengers arms and ankles inside the bow rail of my boat, and in the great state of Massachusetts I no longer buy non-conforming ugly guns so that the bayonet lug doesn't hurt anyone or the screw on muzzle break/flash suppressor cause honest citizens and law enforcement officer any concern that I might be a mass killer.

Clearly I have now gone

My apologies to all who will be offended, just had to get it out of my system.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote