View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #53
sa meredith

Default That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
I just retired my 95 Ford Explorer with 348,000 miles on it, was shooting for 500,000. They were basically all Highway miles back and forth to MA. It was averaging 23 mpg @ 70mph. Every thing in it was still functional. What made me retire it was a catastrophic failure of the transmission. The estimate to repair it was around $1800. My wife decided it was time to move up to a newer vehicle. Reluctantly I did. We found what appeared to be a very "CLEAN" looking 2003 Explorer at a local FORD dealership. We took a test ride, went home, talked it over and called our Credit Union on financing. We went back two days later and purchased it.

I have had the vehicle now for some six weeks. So far in that period of time we have had to replace a front wheel bearing and Hub, two Lower Ball Joints(should have been caught when State Inspection was done) and a complete re-build of the Rear End (Ring and Pinion). I think with the cost of these repairs I could have fixed the trany in my "95" and still be heading to the 500,000 mark.

Every thing is running well now the "2003" now but I am just waiting for some thing else to go wrong.

Oh one other problem is the no one recognizes me any more as the cars are of totally different colors.
While I certainly would not question your post...I do find it interesting (and curious). I have driven back and forth from exit 1 to exit 23 hundreds of times in brand new 01,02,03,04,06,07, and 08 Explorers and just could never, ever, get better than 18 to 19 mile per. Never. Both 6 and 8 cyl. In fact, I have only driven Ford Explorers since 1997 (probably 20/22 of them...so a good sample) but could never break the 20 MPG. I finally caved this past July, and grabbed a 4cyl. Fusion...and saved my self close to $80 per week in gas. I just could not take it anymore.
You did well to get the 300,000 ++ on your 1995 Explorer. I seldom encounter a 94,95,96,97 that is nothing more than a nightmare. Most are just worthless, so you did well.
Question....why were the repairs made to your 03 not covered under dealer warranty? As you live in NH, I hope you did not waive your right to warrany, and buy As Is/ As Shown. In MA, the law does not permit the customer to waive that right. Dealer must provide warranty...no questions.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote