View Single Post
Old 11-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #115
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
As far as the Orwellian dystopia, that ship has sailed. Drive through any city intersection, any toll both, or even down the highway and you will see cameras everywhere, all monitoring you, most connected to some central hub. This was all done relatively quietly, under the radar and in the name of safety. We are a surveillance state. There are police cars with cameras that run you license plate real time, pull up the owner's info on the fly with no justification. Bored police with out the cameras have terminals in their cars where they randomly type license plates fishing for a hit.

Pretty much anyone over 40 or 50 years old allowed this to happen. Not a good outcome from our generation. Do you feel safer?
I have no problem if the police have the means to run license plates either manually or automatically. I am glad that the police randomly run plates. They can identify missing or wanted people and even stolen cars. Numerous people who have outstanding warrants for criminal offenses have been caught this way. The use of computers in police cars enables the police to take more criminals off the street.

It also enables a police officer to know who he is stopping and any criminal history that person may have, prior to approaching the vehicle. That information changes the way a vehicle is approached.

The cameras at intersections allow police to see traffic accidents and assess the situation a lot faster than a cruiser can get there. They may see the need for the fire department or ambulances and send them on their way before the first police officer arrives. They can even dispatch tow trucks immediately to minimize traffic delays.

If these methods keep police safe and allow and assist police to capture more criminals I am all for it. I couldn't care less if my plates get run 10 times a day. I am not doing anything wrong.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 11-06-2022 at 05:53 PM.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post: