View Single Post
Old 11-04-2022, 04:54 AM   #94
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I am responsible for keeping some of this bickering going here. I can accept that. But in general I think it has been fair conversation, and has most of us thinking....

Rather than thinking about this as civility, and or the law.... What is really in my mind is Morals.

For a majority of society, it goes against our better morals to go onto someones property and use their belongings... Because it is against our morals we tend to take it very personally when it happens. This is what drove the laws we have today into place, to be able to punish those that go against the common Morals of society.

The key then becomes how off kilter from the Moral code does an act have to be to warrant punishment. For some it might be simply having a trespasser on their property, for others it may be once they felt mocked on their surveillance camera, and other are fine as long as their is no real damage. This is why the law had to be further broken down into misdemeanor and criminal offense categories....

To a degree I see no issue with Codeman's actions, and can appreciate how he felt. At the same time I sensed and maybe wrongly, that he was contemplating prosecution if possible.

To me what was done showed lack of a Moral compasses no doubt about it. However if property wasn't damaged, the chances of any type of prosecution becomes slim, and that is where I say it isn't worth it. Others may differ in that opinion and that is fine....

What I have learned over the years, is if someones Moral compasses is off, it is because of Drugs, Alcohol, or because their compass is just off.... In either case actions are in no way justifiable..... but we already have to many issues tying up our legal and law enforcement communities....

These guys wouldn't have done what the did if someone was home..... probably if neighbors where around as well.... But they saw an opportunity to be jerks so they took it... Anybody that has lived life worth living has made a questionable judgement call or two..... unfortunately society doesn't seem to want to take that into account anymore, and every infraction against the moral compass is blown out of proportion, in my mind.....

The license plate says Live free or die.... for so many reasons that saying is just simply not even close to true anymore.... It should read now Live Free as long as you don't offend anyone, just like anywhere else.
We're not talking about offending people or questionable judgment. We're talking about people who felt entitled enough to not only trespass and violate others' private property but literally piss on, and brag about, it.

While I don't believe public shame is always the answer, there are absolutely cases where people need to be put in their place and others reminded of lines that should not be crossed.

I think Codeman's approach was swift and effective and, ultimately, won't hurt the offenders beyond their local reputations.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: