View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #232
elchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
How fast was the boat going?
Way too fast. You guys say 60 is slow enough to ensure that stuff like this can't happen, so I guess that suggests he was going way over 60. You tell me.

Quote:
What was considered to be a high rate of speed in 2004?
Even if the lake was more crowded today than in 2004 (the only thing I can think of that would change the definition of "too fast") I think an impartial viewer of even minimal intelligence would conclude that he was going at a speed that would be too fast in any year.

Quote:
And the most important question is this: would a speed limit have prevented this accident?
No, the most important question (in my opinion) is this: would a speed limit have been more likely to reduce or increase the chances of such accidents on our lake?
Remember, there was not a single accident on Lake Winnipesaukee last summer that anyone can say even might have been caused in whole or in part by excessive speed. So the SL is batting 1000 so far. It is not going to stop all speeding or eliminate all accidents, but it is surely not going to increase either.

Here's a bass boat going too fast and crashing; http://www.break.com/index/painful-bass-boat-crash.html
It does not tell us his exact speed, his age, or whether he had his mother's permission, but impartial viewers of the video can draw their own conclusions about whether he was speeding and whether things like this are more or less likely to happen on a lake with a 45MPH speed limit.
While some will say "he was violating the safe passage law anyway", as if that forgives his speed, we used to see the bass boats fly by in such proximity to each other at such speeds every time one of the tourneys started. This summer I'd see them go by in the same tight groupings, but much slower. It is my opinion (might not be yours) that these two boats in the video would not have been flying around filming each other at such high speeds in the first place on a lake with a 45 MPH speed limit, and that this is therefore another accident that our speed limit would have prevented from happening on Winnipesaukee.
Please don't respond with questions to me about the video. It speaks for itself. My posting is moderated and my opportunities to answer are limited. And please don't respond with insults. If you want to avoid the bickering as you all claim, just reply with statements telling us why you think this is more or less likely to happen on a lake with a 45MPH speed limit.