View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Shedwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
7. I also recognize that kayakers and canoeists have special situations to deal with out on the open water. They both tip due to their narrow width, and they are both very low to the water. Hence, I realize that on busy weekends, I run the risk of not being visible to larger craft traveling the lake. Common sense tells me that many boaters tend to slow down when they see me in a kayak or canoe, which makes matters worse because their wakes are larger. Therefore, being a very cautious person, when in such a craft, I stick to shoreline routes where powerboats are not a factor in my journeys.
Generally like your post, but am curious about what you mean here. It seems you say kayaks (which is my main water transportation) should not venture out where the motorboats are (not sure, maybe you mean only on weekends?).

I'm getting to the point where I want some experience on the big lake. It seems as if you believe I should stay on shoreline routes. Sometimes yes, but sometimes I like being out on the water. Do you mean that because there are a lot of motorboats, they should be able to scare away the kayaks/canoes?

I also ride my bike sometimes, and often feel motorists feel I should stay on the sidewalks... which I disagree with.

I'm thinking "tolerance" here, not "kayakers putting boaters in their place".