View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #26
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I've owned a GF boat or two over the years as have many of my friends and neighbors and this is my take on speeding.
Most are very experienced boaters and know the law but like to make an occasional speed run just for the fun of it. Usually when conditions are right and when there are no other boats in the vicinity.
Most serious accidents and deaths have been caused by capt boneheads and/or alcohol. I can't recall any caused by speed alone although someone may prove me wrong.
My boat will barely do 50 and I'm burning 30 GPH wide open so most of my boating is at planing speed or less
RE; "like to make an occasional speed run just for the fun of it. Usually when conditions are right and when there are no other boats in the vicinity."

When GF boaters do as you state above, I see no problem nor need to restrict them.

And in truth your statement about accidents; "Most serious accidents and deaths have been caused by capt boneheads and/or alcohol.I can't recall any caused by speed alone" is in truth irrelevant of speed, they will have accidents at any speed,,, So again I dont see the need for a speed restriction myself and like you, my current "family" boat will only break 50 when there is only 1 or 2 people on board and a light load of fuel and gear, and most of the time we are cruising 30 - 35 MPH, so at the moment I have no personal impact from the speed limit, I just see it as unnecessary and restrictive of those who might enjoy the occasional blast down the Broads. I say ENJOY! Be careful, but no reason to prevent it.

Last edited by XCR-700; 09-01-2021 at 06:34 PM.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: