View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #100
VtSteve

[QUOTE=gtagrip;108675]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
"A boat going admittedly over the SL limit hit and killed someone, and it is disingenuous to cite it in a SL discussion?"

O.K. This accident happened when? 2001, 2002? Can't quite remember. I don't think there was a speed limit law at that time so how could he be going over the speed limit? What's your point?

And by the way, I'm #8.
Maybe back to #7 again. After reading APS stories, and seeing the picture of the flipped boat sinking, I'm too scared to not support speed limits now. We "had" people getting run over by 15,000 pound Ocean-Offshore boats, using up all the available acres of the lake, crashing through docks, running into islands. You've all seen the pictures, APS's links to the dreadful crash threads.

With the SL in place, no longer are people scared to venture out in their normal-sized, historically-proper Winnipesaukee boat. People now feel free to canoe, kayak, sail, and yes, even relax. The waves are smaller due to the SL, so the shorelines are better-protected against erosion.

But mostly I have changed because APS not only listed the names of the reckless cowboys scaring the whits out of lake goers with their thunderously loud and fast boats, but I couldn't sleep anymore wondering whether a Ocean-Offshore boat was going to crash into my bedroom in the wee hours of the morning. After seeing the large, drunken thug driving the boat towards my window, wearing large, garish gold chains, I had a vision of these huge, 200 pound propellers zipping by my head as the 15,000 pound boat crushed my house. This is a vision I know thousands of lakefront owners no longer have thanks to the SL.

What's not to support? No longer will enormous Ocean-Offshore boats be scaring people off the lake, and perhaps many will come back and paddle their little hearts content. Seeing loons prosper after the oil slicks from a multitude of High-Speed Crashes, this is definitely worth it to everyone.

People used to ask, fearfully, When Will The Chaos and Mayhem End?

It has, it's all over now. Thanks APS, for taking me from the land of the blind to the land of the sighted.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post: