View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #157
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
And there are some nights when I can safely do 110 MPH on Rt. 95 (but I don't and I'm glad that for the most part neither do others).
I fully agree, but the 65 mph speed limit on Rt 95 does nothing to make the road safer, the roadway is safe because people operate safely.

I would similarly argue that the people who drive 45 mph on Rt 95 present as much of a threat as the ones who drive 110 mph, the issue is not any specific number, its reasonableness of the speed for the location, situation, and conditions. And I think thats even more the case for boats where you dont have specific striped lanes and other very detailed nav aids.

So again I would argue, speed limits do not ensure safety, safe operation is the key to success and no law can absolutely ensure either adherence to a speed limit or that any individual will operate safely.

At some level we all have to assume some risk in the use of boats, cars, hell just walking across the street can be risky. Life has risks, but piling law after law that restrict the many, in the name of appeasing the few rarely accomplishes anything except to further clog the legal system and deprive the citizens of their freedom.

Well that’s one persons opinion,,,

But then what do I know, I have "only" been accident and ticket free on the water for 45+ years,,,

Last edited by XCR-700; 09-16-2009 at 10:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: