View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #19
ThePlut

Default I will admit

For the last decade, we rented a house every summer in Blackey Cove. The house sold last year, we will miss it dearly, it's a wonderful location on the lake and I deeply envy each of you that have a home there.

In the past, the cove was/is used heavily for wakeboarding and skiing, even tubing and some of those waves were definitely impressive on their own. I stopped tubing in there myself, and try to make sure when we board I stay as much to the middle as I can (hard to do if more than one person is trying to used ).

However, the last 2 years we were there, I do admit, the boats set up for wakesurfing (and I'm certain one of those boats is new, and lives in the cove) were doing a NUMBER on the boat and the dock I used. Had to adjust the dock a few times during my rental. Those setups do throw off an impressive wake, similar to some of the bigger cruisers at maximum plowing speed.

If I lived in there, I'd definitely be looking at what I could do to shore up my dock, get my boat on a lift or at least some whips to protect it. I'm not sure what else you can do. While there are a fair share of 150' violations (it's a small cove...), the actual wake and how they are using the boat is not illegal.

Just a sign of the times, maybe slolam skiing will become popular again and the minimal wake boats will make a resurgence.