View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #620
elchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
El I admitted my mistake in that posting, if you don't accept it then that is your problem.
Is this your version of an apology? Give me a straightforward "I'm sorry" apology for accusing me of being a poacher and I will be very gracious and never mention it again. But I have yet to see anything even remotely resembling an apology from you, so have nothing to accept. You can even do it in a PM if you are too embarrassed to post it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Let me know when you have some statistics relevant to New Hampshire and Lake Winnipesaukee.
1) A statistically reliable randomly conducted telephone poll showed NH citizens favoring a 45/25 MPH speed limit outnumber NH citizens opposing a 45/25 speed limit by a 9 to 1 margin with a +/-3% margin of error. These are the people who elected our legislators and will be voting again next fall.
2) There were 0 (zero) accidents on Lake Winnipesaukee last summer that could even be alleged to have been high-speed related.
3) With a speed limit in place and the MP monitoring boat speeds last summer, only 1 (one) boat was caught exceeding 45 MPH.
How are those for statistics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
and some people wonder why they draw distain to their comments and posts.
I am not one of those who wonder. I know. I tell it like it is and some people cannot deal with that. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Wrong: The difference: ... Murder was NOT something that just made people 'feel unsafe'.
Sure it was. I never personally knew anyone that was murdered before Hartman. All the murders I heard of were anecdotal and second-hand. I had no personal experiences that caused a fear of murder and a support for laws against it. My recognition that murder laws are warranted fall completely from fear...from murders that happened in other states...some years ago. We do not need to be victims in an accident or participants in a near miss to recognize the need for safety laws.
Quote:
Do you have any idea how quick eight tenths of one second is?
Yes, it's just over half the human reaction time. 2.3 seconds gives you 50% more reaction time that you need to make a change in course and avoid the kid. 1.45 seconds is not enough. Sometimes you just need to punt. this is one of those times for you. Just let it go. You blew it by opening this can. Walk away.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Glad I wasn't out on the lake that day described above.
It was actually much much worse that this one post indicated. Look at the other posts about that event in the archives. It was incredible that day. But typical of the Poker Races that used to occur weekend after weekend in those days before the SL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I can get it from my daughter's father in law who is on the committee.
Please do. Why ask me to do your research if you have your own sources? I'll hold my breath for you to come back and tell us what you find. I am also holding my breath for that documentary you guys were making last summer and for Hazelnut's apology for saying I lied about your PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Once again, let me spell it out for you, and all the legislators who are probably not even reading this. The incident in the link that you provided happened during a race
Once again, let me spell it out to you; There used to be races almost every weekend on our lake before the Speed Limit discouraged them. Numerous Poker Races with boats operating just like in this race were held on the lake each summer (see Forum Archive "A horde invades quiet waters" Posted By: 3gW Sunday, July 27, 2003 at 9:24 p.m.), and first thing Saturday and Sunday mornings you'd see and hear the bass boats all racing each other from the tourney starting points to the best fishing spots across the lake. In the afternoons, you'd see all the performance boaters, many looking and sounding just like these "race boats", racing each other from Braun Bay across the lake to get the best docks at the Naswa for an afternoon of boozing before getting back behind the helm. How did the lack of sanctioning of our races or the absence of MP oversight make them safer? This argument is not going too well for you either. You've got to know when to fold'em (K. Rogers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Hey ELCHASE...
And then there were nine.
Quote:
You referring to that CORRUPT Politician Jim Ryan? You know the guy who at last update was sitting in jail?? The one that STOLE from campaign funds? Convicted FELON Jim Ryan? The same Jim Ryan that was rumored to have taken BRIBES???
Yes, what a dog he was. A real scumbag. Makes me proud to be a Republican. I was never too impressed with the way he handled HB847 anyway. They clearly had the votes to pass the bill into a permanent law. Caving to the high-speed side with the 2-year provision was a mistake in my opinion. Had he been stronger, we would not be having this discussion today. The SL would already be permanent.
Quote:
Seriously, if the MP study had come out and shown speed was an issue, WINNFABS would have been shouting from the rooftops!
Of course they would have. If the anti-SL MP had conducted their "survey" and been unable to craft it in a way that slowed everyone down, and had to come back and say "As hard as we tried, we could not slow boaters down enough to say speeding is not a problem", of course Winnfabs would have been using that. I don't expect they are so stupid that they would have missed that opportunity.
Quote:
Certainly, a more serious scientific study was warranted they said.
No, the opposers said that. Winnfabs pushed the original bill that was to be permanent. The 2-yr provision was put into the bill against their objections. The two year provision was crafted by the Marine Trades lobbyist who likely (and ingeniously I might add) saw that it created a legislative nightmare...an unavoidable gap in a law they intended to reconsider and renew without interruption before the two years were up. Reconfirming the law THIS SESSION corrects that mistake and ensures that a law that is working is not unintentionally interrupted. Imagine the uproar if the law gapped through the 2011 summer and another death occurred? Everyone would ask how we let that legislative loophole give window to behavior that our legislators had already overwhelmingly agreed did not belong on the lake.
Quote:
We know of few if any speeding tickets issued
Exactly. Boaters slowed down as we predicted they would, because most people obey our laws. The Speed limit worked

Quote:
This Happens on lakes that already have speed limits.
Yes, and unfortunately we cannot guarantee that it will never happen again on Winnipesaukee even with our speed limit. There will still be occasional offenders, including several from your group, who ignore the law. But the speed limit is part of a package of safety laws that together make boating safer and more enjoyable for the most boaters. Certainly, accidents like this are LESS LIKELY on a speed limit lake than on a NO RULES lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Simple reaction time is the time required for an observer to respond to the presence of a stimulus. For example, a subject might be asked to press a button as soon as a light or sound appears. Mean RT is approximately 180-200 msec milliseconds to detect visual stimulus, and approximately 140-160 milliseconds to detect an auditory stimulus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_time.
Oh ya, I see that hit when I Google it too. Right after 26 hits and just before the next 50+ hits that all that say 1.5 seconds is the accepted standard reaction time. How does information get posted on wickipedia anyway? As I told Hazelnut when she challenged my grammar, if you look hard enough you can usually find something on the internet that supports any wrong information.

And again, I do not own a GBFL.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: