View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
ghfromaltonbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
I forgot one factoid: When Congress convened to declare War against Japan, there was one "Nay" vote!

Pearl Harbor was payback for the intransigence of US' "Isolationists—what we'd call Peaceniks or Pacifists today. Even during the war, cutbacks in training led to incredible reports by surviving WW2 pilots.

[/url]
While in Hawaii we stayed at Turtle Bay on the northwest shore of Oahu. I noticed a large building that resembled a water tower on a bluff across the road from the resort and wondered what it was. When we went to Pearl Harbor and heard the US Parks Dept. Ranger relate the story of Dec. 7th, my ears perked up when he explained that the tower across from Turtle Bay was a radar station which was newly constructed back then and was to be placed into service on Dec. 12, 1941! The Japanese planes crossed Oahu undetected at Turtle Bay and continued SSE to Pearl Harbor. Because of the high mountains the planes were not sighted until they were directly over the basin there. It made me wonder who knew that the radar facility was 5 days from being put into service??