View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
XCR-700

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Fines should be made harsh enough to make people think twice and do what is right.... 50$ should be more like 5000$ dollars...

We are way to easy on people that break minor civil laws these days, and for that matter way to easy on people that break major criminal laws as well. I do believe we need to go back to a simpler time when 3 years in jail means 3 years in jail... not 6 months in jail and an earlier release with probation.... fines shouldn't match what it cost to do things right like the case of getting caught without a boating certificate, it should be 100 times worse.

People get off way to easily in this country, we need harsher penalties especially when people knowingly circumvent the law.
Well I may be the odd man out on this, but I have to disagree in that I think we punish people plenty hard for minor civil offenses, $50.00 is still a lot of money to me and would be sufficient to cause me to feel some pain.

I agree that 3 years in jail should be 3 years in jail and I do feel that we have problems when we are talking about penalties for violent crimes and habitual re-offenders, but it is my opinion that the penalties for minor infractions have become money makers for a lot of cities, states, etc, and I for one don’t believe that additional fines for these so called minor infractions will ever do anything to deter those who have little regard for the law or their fellow citizens.

The sledge hammer approach does not work for every situation and the working man is always the one who suffers the most from additional and extreme changes to laws and enforcement and unfortunately the deep pockets have better lawyers and feel little pain either way when all is said and done.

Again, that’s one boaters opinion,,,

GH
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote