View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Sman

Default my take

Quote:
operate a boat very rarely
is sort of the problem for me

I would say that your point of view might be easier to take if you had an abundance of experience (I still don't agree with it) but where like you said you operate a boat rarely, you do not have the ability to fall back on experience. Think of it more as what is better/safer for you, your passengers and other boaters as opposed to the 50 bucks, its not like its an annual thing.

That said, I think practical experience on the lake trumps the info you learn on the test but to choose neither leaves you not real informed. I learned things taking the test, but I'm not sure there was any new info that has helped me boat safer, but the parts I already knew were from experience and were covered in the information. I personally feel there is information covered in the material that adds bulk to the class/test that dilutes the more important sections (like who has the right of way for example) which causes people to want to bag the process and take their chances. So I would say there is no substitute for experience, but since you don't have that take the test.
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote