View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I visit the lake infrequently, and operate a boat very rarely.

NH law now requires that I have a boater's certificate in order to operate a boat over a certain HP.

Curious as to the penalty for not having such a certificate, I checked and the first offense is a $50 fine, and all subsequent offenses are $250.

No criminal fines or penalties, it would seem, just a fairly nominal civil sanction; seems to be a traffic infraction.

So, I weigh the odds: what are the odds that the MP will actually discover me operating a boat without a certificate?

That is my question: how zealously are they inspecting boats since the law came into effect?

Do they do a lot of random checks, or does the driver typically have to screw up to warrant their attention?

Do they issue warnings?

Seems to me it might be worth the risk to chance it, rather than spent the time needed to take the course, but I will probably take a Coast Guard Auxiliary approved course .
Really, you are a lawyer and you are asking folks how to circumvent the LAW!

Get off your high horse and take the course, you sound like the exact person that should take the test. You probably don't know as much as you think you do!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post: