View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #82
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Woodsy, I took Barney's phrase "starboard quarter" to mean "stern quarter", and thus overtaking. If it was bow quarter up to 112.5, you are correct.
Descant.....

On first read I took it that way too.... then I reread the thread. If the guy was approaching from the stern quarter, as you indicate, Barney held course and speed the guy would have/should have passed behind him safely... that is what happens past the 112.5 degree mark. Barney also had the option to speed up with the same result.. the guy passes behind Barney.

Barney chose to slow, and allow the guy to pass in front... that action (and that Barney observed the guy was not changing course after some time had passed) tells me the guy was within the 112.5 and Barney was the Give Way.

Like Barney said though... most likely with simple course correction the guy could have safely passed behind Barney. I do that all the time!

BTW.. this is not a criticism of Barney... please don't take it that way. Just dissecting an incident on the lake.

Woodsy