View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #26
Descant

Thanked 1,513 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
I'm going to agree with Little Bear. I've seen one pontoon in particular making the run up the Six Pack and heading in the direction of Harilla Landing (and then coming back) many times. They're using them like headlights.

I commend the OP for handling such a stressful situation so professionally, not sure I would have been able to and very glad I was not in that situation with a boat full of passengers. If I have one issue with the 150 foot rule it's that in slowing to headway speed we're assuming that the other operators have seen and understood the situation. If they haven't, we've lost the maneuverability edge that speed can provide.
Perhaps that is why no other jurisdiction has adopted such a rule? Certainly "good" laws get copied often. Not to open old wounds, but experience has shown that our speed limit has not changed safety statistics. It has reduced noise, which may have been the real agenda. I think our safety statistics are comparable to all other jurisdictions which do not have the 150 ft rule, boat to boat..

I was always taught to look behind me to see what size my wake was and what impact it had on smaller boats. I applaud the OP for watching his "six" and paying attention 360 degrees. Too many watch only, or focus on, the starboard forward quadrant.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote