View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
And one other thing: There is no "safe passage" law in Florida. You will be amazed at how close boats on plane will come to your boat without giving it a thought. You just have to get used to it and accept it. I am sure other "snowbirds" from New Hampshire have experienced the same thing.

On Saturday I was in Naples going about 20 MPH and a boat came up on the left abreast of me and about 40 feet away. Just as I was thinking "that guy is really close" a boat going about 35 in the same direction passed between us and his wake threw my boat sideways. It got my attention!

It happens all the time in Florida. I have wanted to ask (certainly in a very nice way) Did you give any thought to your wake and the spray your boat throws up as you pass by? Did you consider that I might have changed course by a little just as you passed and there would have been a pretty good collision?

There is no point in asking. They wouldn't even know what you were talking about. It is just the way it is and that is "normal" here..
Thanks for that, and the dolphin pictures. I've done a lot of boating outside NH and I am used to not having the Safe Passage law. Frankly, I prefer not to have it.

150+ feet away is great for:
swimmers
shore
human powered boats
boats at rest
boats that are substantially smaller than the one you're operating
water skiers
etc.

However, 150 feet is way too much space for two similarly-sized boats underway. For instance, I think two PWCs should be able to cruise side by side 10 feet apart, and if two 20 foot bowriders want to pass each other on plane 50 feet apart in the Graveyard, the law should allow for that.

That said, I would not try to change it here in NH, it makes boating here (especially on Winnipesaukee where there's a massive MP presence) incredibly relaxing and easy compared to most other places. I can live with the occasional inconvenience of it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote