View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

I brought the old modem in today and came home with a new box. Upon opening I found not a replacement modem but an Arris TG2472 gateway which, as has been noted, is a combined modem/router. I had not realized that this would be my only choice.

As I have an almost new router with at lest 8 devices connected the last thing that I wanted to do was setup a new wifi network up all over again. So I called metrocast and was told that it is one size fits all. So then on to tech support to remotely download firmware upgrades and then reconfigure to be just a modem. It took many tries over 40+ min on the phone to just get the device firmware updated. After that a few more min to reconfigure the large ugly box to be just a modem.

The tech explained that the corporate decision was that the one size fits all reduces the types of units out there. He did say that they are spending a lot of time re configuring the ugly box to be just a modem. If I had known that this would be my only choice, I would not have returned the old modem.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote