View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #76
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Contrary to what is being said, it seems to me by reading these posts that people are judgmental and jealous of the nice homes being built on the lake. That it is more virtuous to own a 700 foot, moldy, half-assed built cabin on a fully wooded lot than it is to own a nice home on a clear-cut lot having a lot of natural light revealing spectacular views of the lake. No one is saying that you cannot like or embrace the cabin. However, don't judge those who do not embrace that lifestyle. So long as the home is being built respecting environmental laws, live and let live.
I agree that jealousy is unattractive, but you seem to be combining two sets of issues. There's nothing wrong with dropping a few million dollars to build a wonderful home in a wonderful spot. But clear cutting and super large roofs are bad for the lake--they increase the flow of phosphorous and other contaminants which promote cyanobacteria, and algae, and hurt the fish population and water clarity. Also, trees and other natural growth are much more attractive than houses--at least to me--so I really appreciate it when people leave as many trees as possible so that the rest of us have spectacular views FROM the lake.

I hope that people continue to build their dream homes. But I also hope that DES is able to implement and enforce even tougher rules to protect the water for all.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post: