View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #19
Weekend Pundit

Default A Way To Keep Your Property Taxes Down

One thing that I have found a lot of people who complain about their property taxes have in common?

They didn't bother to attend town/school district meeting or vote. I understand that some can't vote as they aren't residents of the town, but I have talked with a lot of people in my town about their taxes and I'd have to say that more than half didn't vote. (Yes, my 'data' is anecdotal, but it is what I have noticed over the past few years.)

Even non-residents can attend town and school district meetings and voice their opinion. They are, after all, taxpayers and have a right to speak. The only thing they can't do is vote. But you'd be surprised at how often speaking out at the meetings can affect town and school spending, particularly if the speaker makes a good case about one warrant article or another.

I know I haven't cared for how much school spending in Gilford has increased even as the school population has been shrinking. (I don't know how many times a spending increase has been called a spending cut when in reality the only thing that was cut was the amount of the increase.) I haven't voted in favor of a single school budget in years.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weekend Pundit For This Useful Post: