View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #16
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFODMatt View Post
Thanks for all the responses. In the used market I am encountering the same thing Bigd mentioned with limited supply. When I focus that further to get to only the freshwater boats it gets downright discouraging.

Thanks again for the help!
My first boat, a 2007 Four Winns V278, used on the lake for 3 years was a saltwater boat it's entire life (8 years) before I took ownership of it. Yes, it needed a little extra TLC to bring it up to my spec's (i.e. anal retentive OCD) but I can't tell you how many folks at the marina thought it was a new boat. A well cared for 'saltwater' boat is better than a neglected freshwater boat, period.

My current/new-to-me boat, at 2006 Formula 37PC (12 years old when I purchased it) is a 'saltwater boat' used in guess what? Saltwater. Well taken care of it's entire life (indoor heated storage during the winter) and I can't tell you how any people at my marina complimented it this season and thought it was only 1-2 years old....my aunt thought it was brand new. One dock mate looked at my engine room and said it was so clean he could eat off the floor of the bilge. I just pulled it from the ocean yesterday and put it into heated indoor storage (see pic).

The point I'm trying to make is DO NOT limit your search to just freshwater boats.....I don't care what anyone tells you. Hire a surveyor, do your due diligence, and you will not be disappointed. There are some good bargains to be had out there due to the perception that 'saltwater' boats are inferior. Most of the big-boy boats are made for the ocean and built/designed accordingly.

Feel free to ask me any questions! Good luck!

Name:  37PC.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  94.1 KB