View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #82
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Nordic Tugs and Back Cove boats are quite different in purpose and function IMO. Back Cove boats are not really designed as a live aboard, and are really high-end cruisers meant for long weekend vacations at speed. They are what I would consider an alternative to a sedan sport fisherman, for someone that is not all that into fishing, but wants speed, quality and clean style. They are beautiful boats, but they trade a lot of function for form and are not as practical as a boat designed to be a full time home. You almost never hear of anyone doing a loop on a boat like a Back Cove and generally see them parked in front of waterfront mansions. Nordic Tugs are designed with far more amenities and safety features that make sense for live-aboards and they are great coastal cruisers. They typically have a much more cluttered look than a Back Cove, but that "clutter" makes daily life on a boat MUCH easier than on a boat where clean lines are a priority.

Nordic Tugs started making boats the same year Tollycraft went out of business. They are simply newer, thus the higher price they command on the used market.

My Tollycraft is kind of a hybrid. It is definitely designed to be a live aboard boat, but has the performance to hit 25 knots if desired. Style-wise, it's really bland, and very cluttered, but I did not buy it for style...
Thats a great looking boat! I love the lines. So that's a semi-displacement? Will that sedan bridge profile make higher wind days more difficult to handle? Yes, the Nordic Tug, Nordhavn, etc are more for full time liveaboard where as the lobster style, Back Cove, Sabre are beautiful boats but would be more for a few days at a time instead of full time but I love the lines to that style.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote