View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
GTO

Default got hit bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
We really got lucky last night. All day the wind appeared to be coming from the south east, which made for chop where we are on The Broads, but not the usual 2' - 3' waves we normally see from the north west winds. We only got some rain, never hearing a clap of thunder. Expected much worse from the nasty looking radar.
We saw that front coming at us on radar. It was a long thin front all in red and Belknap County was on severe storm watch till 11 on Saturday night. At 7:45, we were sitting watching tv with the sliders open, all of a sudden, out of no where....I thought it was a sudden downpour coming through the trees but as I got to the sliders I realized it was the wind. It wasn't a gussting wind and it was LOUD and strong and kept getting harder. Chairs and plants started blowing across the deck. We lost power and for the first time ever, we all started heading for the basement. Within 30 seconds, it was over. It then started to rain a little so we went outside with a flashlight and found large branches scattered across the yard. We went around the neighbor hood and the house behind us had 3 large trees uprooted and crashed onto their deck. The trees somehow fell between their house and their car and just took out the deck and all the power lines to their house. On another road in the neighborhood, anther tree had snapped and fallen, blocking the road. there were large limbs and branches all over the roads. Power company came and restored power after about 3 hours. Not sure if it was some kind of micro burst, wind shear or whatever....but when people say on the news that it sounded like a freight train, I now know what they are talking about. We live on the Merideth/CTR Harbor line off of 25