View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 04:59 AM   #15
ApS

Arrow With BWI a Constant Concern, Forget Rule 6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
There is no way that you are even being remotely serious with any of this. Yeah, I am sure the witches are going to be dredged to make a canal. Right.
Nobody mentioned "dredge".

Over the ice, it would be sufficient to truck the necessary boulders and gravel to build it shallow enough for the record speeds that would result. To create a straight course, boulders would require "popping".

Outside of the canal—where it is shallow enough—rafting could be encouraged along both sides. (Where it is deep, a few mooring balls could be installed for spectators).

Sponsored by private donors—in coöperation with the State—think of it as a watery equivalent to the former NHIS.

All the time, money and effort that went into arguing SB27 could've been expended in The Witches Canal venture with all the above rewards to all boaters.

Who could complain?

While there is always great risk with these risk-takers, The Witches Canal could become a Mecca for those seeking extreme speeds without resorting to those other concrete-sided canals where those extreme speeds are sought—with disastrous results to peaceable boaters, the speedsters themselves and even the houses that line those canals.

A single, six-fatality, collision once occurred within such a canal.

Because New Hampshire's peaceable boaters—and our lake's unrepentant speedsters both win—think of this as a "Win-Win" proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Oh, and once again I will ask you (although I know you won't answer): What is wrong, illegal, unethical or morally unacceptable about carrying alcohol on one's boat?
This is a difficult question to answer, but here's an admittedly "oblique try".

1) The transport of three liters of Vodka—plus an unknown quantity of beer—was only discovered in the aftermath of a boat collision with one of Winnipesaukee's 253 islands—an island that was tragically encountered directly in the center of Lake Winnipesaukee.

2) While that "transport" was not technically illegal, every experienced Captain is responsible for their boat, passengers and crew—so, viewed in the bright light of Rule 5—how can it be viewed as otherwise than "wrong, unethical, and morally unacceptable".

How'd I do?